Unhealthy Obsession

Evidence of how one college student's obsession with knitting has completely driven her nuts.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

KnitPicks Shine and Merino Style

I recently received my order of one skein of KnitPicks Shine in Cream (an off-white) and Merino Style in Harvest (a butternut squash). I had a free shipping code, and I really wanted to try out these yarns without a large committment, so I purchased a small sampling!

As you can see, the skeins really are as small as people say they are:
KnitPicks Yarn May 05 002

But don't let that deter you from purchasing them! Both yarns are incredibly soft (in skein and knit form), a dream to knit with, knit evenly with little effort, have nice stitch definition, AND are incredibly affordable to boot. The colors in the picture are relatively accurate, I know sometimes people have been surprised when they got their colors in the mail and found them to be substantially brighter than they thought!

Shine is a 60% pima cotton, 40% modal blend. Apparently, modal is some sort of derivative of tree cellulose fibers. It is a little bit shiny, as the name implies, but is not overly noticable. I made a little 3.5" x 3.5" swatch on size 6 needles and was able to get 5 sts/in and 7 rows/in:
KnitPicks Yarn May 05 006 Edit

The color in the picture is darker than the actual color of the yarn. In actuality, it is a fairly close to a white off-white.

My first project with Shine will be a sweater for my brother. He seems intent on me knitting a sweater for him for his birthday (end of July), so we will see if I can get that done in time ;) I am having problems figuring out exactly what pattern to use and what colors to use. I think he'd like a V-neck, but I was also thinking that the Adirondack Pullover from The Garter Belt might be a decent choice. Trouble is, he is kind of small, probably smaller than the smallest size of that pattern.

My second project with Shine will be for myself ;) I want to make the cabled cardigan from Debbie Bliss's Cotton Knits for All Seasons, in Cream. Since it calls for 5 sts/in and 7 sts/row, I am all set! :)

I am going to throw my swatch into the wash and see how it fares. Shine is supposedly machine washable, so I hope there isn't too much shrinkage if at all. If you know me, you know I don't like anything that isn't machine washable ;)

I also knit a swatch out of the Merino Style, but I'll talk about that another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home