Unhealthy Obsession

Evidence of how one college student's obsession with knitting has completely driven her nuts.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

WIP: Branching Out Beginnings

I started Branching Out yesterday. I bought 1.2 oz of a coned laceweight yarn called Zephyr at my LYS. It's 50% merino, 50% silk, lightweight, a bit shimmery, and unbelievably soft! I got a dark pink since I am making it for my mom for Mother's Day. My mom, as best as I can tell, would prefer pink. Best of all, this yarn was only $3.75/oz, so I only spent about $4 on this - what a deal!

Branching Out 050205 002 Edit

Branching Out 050205 002 Edit2

Branching Out 050205 004 Edit

In fact, I am thinking of getting this yarn again because I like it so much and because it is so affordable, to make more lace items..

I lost several hours yesterday trying to start this scarf. It's my first lace project, and my first project using a yarn this skinny. I double stranded it because I liked the corresponding swatch at the store. After several hours of frustration, I put the project down. The first attempt had too many mistakes and a dropped stitch.

I picked it up again hours later, and it was surprisingly easy to knit correctly, so my frustration was not a total loss. I switched from Clover 8 circs to Brittany Birch 7 DPNs, which contributed to the better handling. The Clovers were too blunt, and the cord was just getting in the way. I love my Brittany Birches, and they too were somewhat blunt.. I thought about using the Denises which are often too pointy for me, but I figured the Densises needed a rest after many continuous projects.

I also pulled tight on all the border stitches (so basically the knit stitches on every row) and I followed along with a row counter. I knit the purl row much more loosely, and I counted stitches after every knit row to make sure that I was on target. All this led to a much better knitting experience :)

Today there were several hours of knitting. I am about 4? repeats into the scarf. Hopefully I can finish and block before Friday, but I am doubtful, especially with a midterm this week. I have about 5.5 inches completed and it is divine:

Branching Out 050205 011 Edit

There is at least one mistake, but it is not too terrible in the grand scheme of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home